Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Happiness Project


About a year ago, I went through a personal cleansing where I attempted to figure out who I am (which you can read here). Now, I feel like it's time for a tune-up, based off of the book I am currently reading, "The Happiness Project," by Gretchen Rubin.

In the book, Rubin researched famous theologians, philosophers, and spiritual books to define what happiness truly is. She planned to do little things differently each month, from "No nagging my husband" to "Act the way you wish to act." Some were simple and easy to do (such as "do anything immediately if it takes less than five minutes to do"), while some were tougher ("be exceptionally nice for a week, never being angry or losing your cool"). The book is extremely fascinating, and I haven't even finished the book. I don't know the conclusion yet, but the realizations that she has come to find already shows me that simple switches, like walking at least 10,000 steps a day, easily improve your mood and daily life.

I still don't exactly know who I am, or where I am supposed to be (as probably any early-20's person feels), but there are minor changes I want to make in my life so that when I do make decisions or find out new things about myself, my mind is clear and with the best intentions for my life. One of my first "rules" is that I must be outside at least 20 minutes a day. Whether it is from walking, or sitting outside, as long as I am in the great outdoors, I can see how much calmer and energized I am. Nature is one thing I have always connected with, especially fresh green grass. Secondly, I want to listen to at least one worship song per day. As I was listening to a Christian radio station the other day, I realized that I did not know any recent Christian songs or new artists. I need to make an effort to keep Christian music in my vocabulary, as it used to be something that defined my attitude (with a lot of Relient K, dc Talk, and Jars of Clay). I already made a worship CD for me to listen to in the car at all times, but I need to be reading more Relevant magazines and keeping up on Christian culture. Music has the power to transform my mood in such a profound, strong way that it has to be of bigger importance in my life.

I'm still trying to figure out what else I want to add to my "must" list of things I do every day, but I figure this is a good start. Walking every day was essential last year while getting through some issues, and I think walking will definitely help again to clarify my thoughts. It's always nice to take a step back, figure out what I really want from my life, and what I need in order to be successful (and to even define what "success" truly is).

No comments:

Post a Comment